WIMBLEDON 2013: German Sabine Lisicki, the 23rd seed, stuns tournament favourite Williams in fourth round at Wimbledon

Forget the unexpected defeats of Roger Federer and Rafa Nadal in a slippery first week here, the fourth-round exit of Serena Williams on Monday was the biggest shock at just about any Wimbledon since wood gave way to graphite.
Williams, the colossus of women’s tennis — quite literally, if you believe Annabel Croft — with a 12-month record of 77 wins in 80 matches at the start of this week, was supposed to muscle her way irresistibly to a sixth title.
Along came Sabine Lisicki, a German with a big serve, a bigger smile and a neat trick in knocking over reigning French Open champions on the grass to which she happens to be allergic. Medically, that is, not in tennis terms.
Scroll down for video
Stunned: Serena Williams was turfed out in the fourth round by Sabine Lisicki
Stunned: Serena Williams was turfed out in the fourth round by Sabine Lisicki
Pure delight: Lisicki got down on her knees after the game and fell to the floor in ecstasy
Pure delight: Lisicki got down on her knees after the game and fell to the floor in ecstasy

Pure delight

Lisicki, 23, beat Svetlana Kuznetsova, Li Na and Maria Sharapova in 2009, 2011 and 2012 respectively at Wimbledon, each within a few weeks of their victories at Roland Garros.
She did precisely the same to Williams on Monday, winning 6-2, 1-6, 6-4 while displaying a crowd-endearing joyous delight entirely in keeping with a renowned sunny disposition.
‘I’m so happy,’ she told BBC television with tears running down a cheek in the immediate aftermath of a result that was greeted by enthusiastic celebration inside Centre Court and more solemn reflection from a tennis community staring at a singularly starless last eight of the draw.
Almost as impressive as her attacking style of play was the speed with which Lisicki regained her composure, suppressed her emotion and concentrated on today’s quarter-final against Kaie Kanepi. ‘I am already focused,’ she insisted. ‘I feel great. I have played four very, very good matches, better with each match. I get more and more confident.
Hard to beat: Williams was expected to win the tournament but was upset by Lisicki
Hard to beat: Williams was expected to win the tournament but was upset by Lisicki

Roar

STEPHENS KEEPS THE FLAG FLYING

Serena Williams may be out, but America still have one hope left in the women's singles.
20-year-old Sloane Stephens overcame Monica Puig 4-6 7-5 6-1 and has been tipped for a big future by Williams.
'I think Sloane has a really good chance of winning,' Williams said. 'She has a great draw.'
There has been suggestion of some needle between the pair, but it was not apparent as Williams threw her support behind the Floridian.
'I think she can take it,' Williams said. 'It would be really nice to see her win.'
‘I feel very comfortable here. My dream growing up was to win Wimbledon and be No 1.’
She has certainly taken a step in the right direction, at least in part due to a somewhat muted performance by Williams. Very uncharacteristically, the No 1 seed and hot favourite espied the jugular and failed to go for it. Winning nine games in a row saw Williams level the match at one set all and take a 3-0 lead in the decider. No-one, not least her, imagined anything at that stage other than a 35th win in a row that would have equalled her sister Venus’s record, set in 2000.
Inexplicably, she tightened up, became more conservative in her shot options and succumbed to an opponent swinging hard and swinging persistently.
Lisicki had come into the match with a‘puncher’s chance’ and by the end, she landed just enough blows to make the difference. Williams, though, was to rue many self- inflicted wounds.
Shake on it: The pair speak after the amazing encounter
Shake on it: The pair speak after the amazing encounter
‘I didn’t play the big points well enough,’ Williams reckoned. ‘I didn’t do what I do best. I had a little hesitation. I feel like I could have gone for it a little more on some shots. I backed off a little bit at some points. I have to play the game I can play. For me, that’s being more aggressive.
‘I had so many opportunities. I made so many errors. I hit so many balls in the net. I probably couldn’t be more disappointed. She definitely played a super-aggressive game. When you’re playing and you have absolutely nothing to lose, it’s like you can really play with so much freedom and so loose. That’s how she played today.
‘I felt I was on the verge of winning. I felt really confident. At that point I was physically unable to hold serve. My first‑serve percentage was going down. For me, I have to be able to serve well, especially on this court, and going up against such a really, really strong server like Sabine.’
On song: Petra Kvitova is aiming to become Wimbledon champion
On song: Petra Kvitova is aiming to become Wimbledon champion
Lisicki and Williams are the two best servers in the women’s game with the former recording the fastest ever at 130mph. She lost that particular point in 2009, proving big serving is not everything.
And it wasn’t on Monday, given Williams achieved the fastest mark, 123-125mph, and enjoyed a better first-serve percentage.
The deciding factor was probably aggression. Lisicki might not have wanted it more, but she went after it more.





 
You have read this article with the title WIMBLEDON 2013: German Sabine Lisicki, the 23rd seed, stuns tournament favourite Williams in fourth round at Wimbledon. You can bookmark this page URL http://meingeilesich.blogspot.com/2013/07/wimbledon-2013-german-sabine-lisicki.html. Thanks!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...